If you haven’t observed, we’ve been undergoing, a period of increased amounts/ numbers of hate – crimes, you probably haven’t been paying enough attention! Many feel, this is occurring, at a rate, we haven’t seen, in recent memory, and, this may be more dangerous, than – ever, because, so many politicians, and elected officials, seem to believe, enabling, and entitling the haters, etc, serves their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! It has gotten to the point, where, common sense indicates, if we don’t reduce this partisan behavior, hatred, bigotry, and prejudice, we risk the identity and character of this nation, and lose, many of what, we’ve considered the protections, and Constitutional guarantees, which differentiate us, throughout the world! When haters feel enabled, unfortunately, their anti – social behavior, increases, both, in – frequency, as well as, severity/ danger! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 areas of concern, which we must address, sooner, rather than later.
1. Antisemitism: In the 1930’s and 1940’s, the world witnessed, what happens, when antisemitism, becomes prevalent, and permitted! We have seen this dangerous behavior, on too many occasions, since then, but, it appears, the number of hate – crimes, committed against Jews, has grown, both in number/ frequency, as well as, in how these haters, seem, more enabled and entitled, than ever! If we hope, to ensure, We’ve seen this before, and, Never again, become more – than – empty rhetoric/ slogans, we must enforce laws, intended to criminalize these types of behaviors, and actions!
2. Voting rights: While some claim, they seek changes, in voting rights, and corresponding laws, it seems, it is more about restricting the privileges, and rights, only, to selective groups (minorities, and/ or, others, without the same political perspectives/ agendas)! How can we claim to be, in favor of, liberty and justice for all, unless/ until, if we don’t insist, every citizen, is able to cast his vote, fairly, and without interference?
3. Systemic racism: Although, at times, systemic racism, seems to be, one of those, over – used, slogans, etc, denying, it exists, in policing, Courts, employment, etc, is, a form of dangerous – denial! If, we enable this behavior, and permit it, to become, the so – called, standard behavior, we risk, losing an essential component in our democracy!
4. Polarization/ political rhetoric: We witnessed how, an individual, served his personal/ political agenda, and, self – interest, for four years, as President of the United States, and, how, when someone in that type of responsibility, and so much power/ influence, can create polarization, and divisiveness, when we need, public officials, who prioritize, bringing us, together, for the greater good! When public leader uses the rhetoric, of hatred, it enables his core supporters, in an unhealthy way!
5. Encouraging/ enabling haters: Referring to violent, White Supremacists, etc, in a way, which, equates them, to peaceful protestors, saying, Good people on both sides, or, constantly, lying and making false claims, with the apparent intention, of, encouraging these haters, creates an atmosphere, which tends to enable them, and make this behavior, acceptable, in their perceptions!
Wake up, America, and protect the integrity of our nation, and the core principles of democracy! If we don’t do so, proactively, and soon, it may be, too late, and we will lose our basic direction, perhaps, forever!
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Richard_Brody/492539